BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Large colonies

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #9451  by Patrick
 10 Nov 2020, 10:31
NigelP wrote:If there is brood your brood nest will be at 32-35C, so a simple cordless thermometer will tell you what is likely to be going on or not as the case may be. IIRC there is usually a sharp increase in hive temperature shortly after the winter solstice to 32/35 when brood rearing starts in earnest.
I remember Jazz was talking about designing something of the sort. I know the typically quoted temperature of an active brood nest but not the temperature of a broodless cluster. Presumably under 32 degrees. Usually in the summer period if there is no brood present the bees seem looser and aimless on the comb anyway. Out of interest, do you check for brood before treating? I never have, perhaps if it continues to be as madly warm as at present in December, I will take a frame out when I go in.

I usually treat with oxalic between Christmas and New Year as it is around the shortest day and I am available to do it.
 #9452  by mikemadf
 10 Nov 2020, 12:53
An IR thermometer aimed at the Crown Board will tell you whether there is brood or not..

I did that in my early years: then decided it was a waste of time and vaped 3rd week December every year.
e
 #9453  by Chrisbarlow
 10 Nov 2020, 13:16
mikemadf wrote:
10 Nov 2020, 12:53
An IR thermometer aimed at the Crown Board will tell you whether there is brood or not..

I did that in my early years: then decided it was a waste of time and vaped 3rd week December every year.
e
That's interesting... Can you remember the temps given with your readings for brood and brood less
 #9513  by mikemadf
 22 Nov 2020, 13:46
IIRC 31c approx for with brood.. But that is on top of brood nest - sides are far less.

For broodless - varies with ambient temp. But usually 15-20C

(I have insulated wooden hives plus poly hives)

No doubt tho when with brood..(at least a reasonable amount)

So pretty easy to tell difference.)
 #9516  by AdamD
 23 Nov 2020, 10:09
With good insulation on the crown board, it's easy to feel hive warmth if the insulation is lifted off as the crown board can be quite warm. Without any insulation the crown board becomes cool so you would hardly be able to tell whether a colony was brooding or not. (Demonstrates the heat-loss if no insulation is used).

I did buy a small battery powered bluetooth thermometer that I wanted to put in a hive near the house, the idea was that I could pop the thermometer in the hive between two brood combs and check the temperature from my laptop. However the instructions were in Chinese which was not a good start and once I started to work out how it worked, I would have had to use my iPhone and put a Chinese app on it (not too comfortable with that) and collect the temperature data from a Chinese server, so I gave up.