BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• What have you done today bee-related?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #8923  by Chrisbarlow
 19 Sep 2020, 18:39
@Nigel ... I'm finding the bees are starting to work the balsam in earnest at the moment .... Finally

Good luck with the mating, the weather forecast round me looks good this next two weeks.
 #8924  by Steve 1972
 19 Sep 2020, 18:46
I took the last two supers from one colony and give them all Amitraz strips i also give one a feeder and topped the rest up with 2:1 thymol syrup..angry little devils is a understatement for three colonies and i took umpteen stings more than i would like to so three colonies will be getting a close eye on them come spring..lets hope it is the robbing season that is making them a tad defensive..
 #8937  by pingping
 20 Sep 2020, 13:03
Still feeding 4.5lb per night. Busy girls.

To questions above on formic. No losses, but did in past until done properly. 85% pure formic diluted to 50% suspended 20-25mm above brood on stainless mesh also with space above pads (eg. eke or super will do). 85-100ml per colony size dependent with 15-20ml home made HbH each added at apication time. 6 x 1/4 sponge dish pads in bag, pour in mix, squeeze to soak up all and put in hive on mesh. Close. Remove 8-24 hrs. High nineties % kill rate in sealed cells. 1 treatment every 1-2 years mid Aug- mid Sept. No honey damage.

There is a link somewhere to the paper on it if you want it. V quick. V effective. V cheap.
 #8945  by NigelP
 20 Sep 2020, 17:43
Alfred wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 13:31
Ooh I can sense some preachy finger wagging heading your way........
If it works it works. I think we stay with what we confidently think works. Personal preference is not for formic as it's easy to get it wrong, either dosage or wrong temps.
I take my hat off to those who are happy with it, not for me though. I have other methods that work fine.
 #8948  by wallerfc
 20 Sep 2020, 19:09
Took advantage of great weather today; one hive found a sealed QC supercedure/emergency and 2 unsealed. No Q seen and open brood 3-4 days larvae, no eggs. Left sealed QC and removed the other 2. What do you think the likelihood of a successful mating this time of year (SE England)? Saw a few drones still in other hives but numbers dropping. Never seen a QC this late in the year.. the colony scored about a 3 in temperament.
 #8950  by AdamD
 20 Sep 2020, 19:36
Welcome to the forum wallerfc.
You might be lucky with mating as you are in the south. With 8 days from a sealed q/c to a new shiny queen, you'll be looking for good weather in early October and a queen laying by mid-month. There should be a few drones about - fingers crossed that it works out! For many, we would not know until spring when we find a DLQ in a very depleted colony so now you have the opportunity to worry about it! ;)
 #8972  by NigelP
 21 Sep 2020, 15:15
Last extraction of the season completed and applied last of varroa treatments to hives just back from the moors....just a little matter of feeding to take care of and the usual hefting and that is about it.
 #8978  by nealh
 21 Sep 2020, 23:31
Checked on two QL colonies to find both now have four - fives frames of brood now and some of it sealed, been fortunate with the weather.
 #9020  by AdamD
 26 Sep 2020, 13:32
I moved a small queenless nuc to a different apiary so I can combine with the remnants of a couple of mini-nucs and a new queen from one of them. There should be enough bees once all together, to survive the winter. I needed to remove any queencells from one of them before it was too late and got soaking wet with feeding some colonies as well - the rain has been coming down steadily. :(