BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Finally Extracting Is Over

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #8949  by Steve 1972
 20 Sep 2020, 19:29
For all i love this marvelous hobby towards the end of the season it starts becoming a chore..not in a bad way but with all the hustle and bustle with swarming and manipulations it starts to get time consuming in between working my usual job as a thick Scaffolder...
Anyway i used my extractor for the last time this year today and it is now cleaned and dried and stored in it usual safe place..the heat is me now and i find the wind down a bit of a relief...not that my guard is down as wasps and feeding are to deal with as well as varroa management but the silent sigh of relief makes me feel better..when the varroa are sorted and the feeding is finished i can then put my full time into working my pooches properly...i will not go into detail but what they do feeds them ..

Skip a few Months into April/May next year i will be like a child with a new toy waiting to get going again and anyone i talk too will look at me with a dazed look when i start talking bees..

Does anyone else relish the break but is excited waiting for the new year to start again or am i just sad... :D
 #8951  by AdamD
 20 Sep 2020, 19:42
I've just used my extractor to pour the last of my un-filtered OSR honey into it to run out through the 2-stage filter before putting into jars. Unless there's an ivy flow (occasionally it happens in a big way), it won't be used now until next May.
I do look forward to the end of season - and really enjoy the first warm spring day when I can inspect the bees again.
 #8957  by cactusmike
 21 Sep 2020, 08:02
Steve,
Yes extracting is over but it seems to me the jobs don't end until January ! While I was away on hols a weak hive collapsed and wax moth damaged the frames very quickly. So now I am rewaxing and checking all the hives for wax moth ! After treating for varroa in January maybe we can relax a bit ! And this autumn the honey has been mostly mahogany brown so not rape which was not so plentiful in my area of south Norfolk this year.
 #8958  by AndrewLD
 21 Sep 2020, 08:51
I share your general sentiment, it's good to have a break and go into maintenance mode until the spring. But I won't relax until feeding is over, Apivar strips are out, insulating jackets on and hives strapped down. Then it will just be occasional hefting until I reverse the nadiring in March .... but then there is all the granulated honey to cut out of frames, melt down, and steam the frames..... Mead to make......
Did I say relax ........?
 #8961  by Patrick
 21 Sep 2020, 09:17
AndrewLD wrote:I share your general sentiment, it's good to have a break and go into maintenance mode until the spring. But I won't relax until feeding is over, Apivar strips are out, insulating jackets on and hives strapped down. Then it will just be occasional hefting until I reverse the nadiring in March .... but then there is all the granulated honey to cut out of frames, melt down, and steam the frames..... Mead to make......
Did I say relax ........?
Don’t forget cleaning all that stuff stacked up in various piles.

No hold on, that never actually gets done until at least April does it? :roll:
 #8971  by NigelP
 21 Sep 2020, 15:12
Final extraction today of heather honey. At less than 10lbs/per hive It didn't take very long DOH!

#8974  by Patrick
 21 Sep 2020, 18:50
Nice press Nigel. Remarkably similar to a cider press I used some while back. May only be 10lb but it’s 10lb you wouldn’t have got otherwise 😁.

I also had a go with a hydro press from Italy that used mains water pressure to inflate a bladder within a similar outer cage. Not quite sure how it was plumbed but great bit of kit - pressed a few loads of left over quinces for juice, great floral and tangy juice in remarkable quantity for what I had assumed were pretty dry and hard fruit. Made some nice quince wine and cider from it. No idea if it could be adapted into service for heather honey. Must have a try with it on Exmoor or Dartmoor one day.
 #8975  by NigelP
 21 Sep 2020, 20:13
Patrick wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 18:50
Nice press Nigel. Remarkably similar to a cider press I used some while back.
That Is what it is Patrick, works off mains water pressure....it's the best way of extracting heather honey I've found to date.
It's also being used for its original job description of producing apple juice....we have an exceptional crop this year.
 #8977  by Steve 1972
 21 Sep 2020, 21:15
Good and Bad Nigel....not so good of previous yields but better than zero lb's with this years mad weather..