BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Best WBC hive- reviews and recommendations please

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #8156  by Gingernhoney
 09 Jul 2020, 12:16
Hi everyone, new to the forum so a big hello from me!

Looking to buy a new wbc hive and was hoping someone could recommend a site to order from. I’ve looked at Caddon, honeypotts, heather belles honey bees and national bee supplies. Has anyone had a wbc hive from these suppliers and would you recommend?

The prices vary so much across them, does the extra quality from National bee supplies warrant the extra price? Caddon look good and have confirmed no knots even though their photos look a bit knotty.

Hope you don’t mind all the questions. Any feedback gratefully received

Thanks x
 #8158  by AdamD
 09 Jul 2020, 14:19
I bought a Caddon hive 10 years ago before they were made of Cedar; it was well made. I have a feeling that I put my own varroa floor in as it was supplied with a solid floor at the time. I also have a Thornes cedar one. This was bought 'nearly new' from eBay at the time. It's OK too. I can't comment on the other manufacturers as my other WBC's are home made (but not my home) or from the local association auction. Not all of my lifts fit all the hives or fit other lifts which would be entertaining if it wasn't so annoying! (Caddon and Thornes ones are OK by the way).

The biggest issue with WBC's from my experience is rotting of the floor (the most expensive part). For this reason, I would recommend this part at least, being cedar as it lasts and lasts. (The cedar Thornes one is still OK, legs still OK but worn down a bit by strimmer line).

If you buy a WBC in kit form, it will take a few hours to put together. And you NEVER HAVE ENOUGH SPARE LIFTS it seems!

Welcome to the forum by the way. :)
 #8161  by Cable_Fairy
 09 Jul 2020, 15:41
I bought a WBC from Caddon last year, my only comment is that the instructions are difficult to follow, however look at the Thorn videos on line and you will not go too far wrong. There was a bit missing, the piece of wood that sits on the floor between the bottom lift and brood box that stops the bees going up inside the hive. There are no knot holes and all the wood is sound.
 #8164  by Patrick
 09 Jul 2020, 23:00
My personal experience of WBC’s is mainly limited to friend who runs a few. The issue of non interchangeable lifts mentioned by Adam seems common. I was struck by just how much woodwork you end up generating and having to manipulate every inspection. It also seems a quite pricey option.

Are all yours WBC’s Adam or do you have a mix?
 #8167  by AdamD
 10 Jul 2020, 09:19
Patrick, I run 4 WBC's at home, plus one national which I have there just to put extracted supers on for the bees to clean out, the rest are wooden nationals at an out apiary. I toyed with a Paynes poly and flirted with a Paradise poly and reverted to wood. I have two 10 year old plywood brood boxes which are de-laminating nicely! Maybe I need to consider Abelo as replacements.
 #8170  by nealh
 10 Jul 2020, 10:01
The Abelo/Lyson poly brood is an excellent choice, imv the addition of the abs top and bot incorporated edge is so much better then the Swienties I have plus they take 11 frames with the same foot print.
 #8173  by AndrewLD
 10 Jul 2020, 14:30
Patrick wrote:
10 Jul 2020, 10:55
Cheers Adam. Always interested in the pros and cons of hive types. But as it’s not strictly what this thread was asking perhaps it’s one for another thread..
Hi Gingernhoney,
Patrick is absolutely right - we should not stray off-piste :D
To answer you better it would be helpful to know what has attracted you to a WBC hive (over say, a national or Langstroth)?
For example, are you looking for extra insulation above that which the WBC provides (cedar versus other wood)?
Is your apiary in a damp location (Canadian western red cedar over English cedar)
Do you practise migratory beekeeping? Is your hive going to stay in one place (in which case we may be able to advise a WBC hive that is easy to transport) :lol:
Are you going to buy more than one hive, in which case it is important that the WBC hives you buy are totally interchangeable, in the same way as the National?
Do you have a target price in mind? Would you spend more for better quality or do you want a budget hive?
If you want features that are out of your target price would you up the budget or compromise and choose an alternative type of hive that has those features?
 #8174  by NigelP
 10 Jul 2020, 17:34
Gingernhoney wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 12:16
Hi everyone, new to the forum so a big hello from me!

Looking to buy a new wbc hive
Welcome Ginger....I'd ask yourself why a WBC? They are not the easiest hives to work. Original design was meant for the gap between the hive and the outers to be filled with cork chippings over winter....something that has got lost in today's world.
I know they look nicer than the modern square boxes but not the most practical of hives.