BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Bumble bee nest

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #8119  by Jo Ann
 04 Jul 2020, 19:54
Hi I know this forum is more for honey bees. Would welcome some thoughts and advice please. I have a composter that actually looks like a bee hive. I need to move it as a new shed is to be put on that site. There is a bumble bee nest in the, hive,. What is the best way to move it without killing the bees or getting stung. :roll:
 #8120  by Chrisbarlow
 04 Jul 2020, 21:31
Suit up, at dusk or dark, with gloved hands , scoop out if compost bin, stick in a box and move to another site.
 #8122  by Jo Ann
 04 Jul 2020, 22:12
OK. Thank you. So if I wear track suit type clothes and gloves that would be OK
 #8123  by Patrick
 05 Jul 2020, 08:44
Bumble bees are usually pretty placid but you are moving a nest. If they have a chestnut front half and a white rear they may be Tree Bumble bees which can be defensive, but they don’t usually nest in compost heaps. In a compost heap and if they are black yellow and white they are much more likely to be Buff tailed bumblebees which are very easy going.
 #8124  by Jules59
 05 Jul 2020, 08:48
No , you should wear a protective veil as well as a completely covering your body . Bees often go for the head area in preference when defending their nests.

A "terrorist" style balaclava and sky goggles might suffice
 #8126  by Liam
 05 Jul 2020, 13:12
I would ask for some advice in your local area. I’m sure a local bee keeper could help you out, despite them not being honey bees, most of us have an interest in conservation and protecting all species.