BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Badgers

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #8080  by NigelP
 30 Jun 2020, 20:54
I figure it was more my fault Steve....The hive strap wasn't long enough to fit round the whole hive, so I just left it loosely under the stand. I've set a trail camera to see if he comes back...but have shut my front gates as I think that is where they come into the garden from. WE shall see..but thanks for the offer.
 #10573  by Patrick
 15 Apr 2021, 14:15
Well the prolonged dry spell around here has apparently brought an unwelcome repeat of hive tipping over. Two supers of part filled combs strewn about and eaten out. Found only one complete set of frames, presumably the rest underground! Not sure if the parent colony queen has survived or not.

Electric fence going back up tonight 😠
 #10574  by NigelP
 15 Apr 2021, 17:08
You sure those are badgers? Sounds like someone has reintroduced European Bears!
 #10576  by Patrick
 15 Apr 2021, 17:53
Now you mention it, the scratch marks in the trees were rather high up.... 😁
 #10577  by Alfred
 15 Apr 2021, 18:41
Bad !uck Patrick
If its any consolation,my maeleovant fallow deer have joined forces with the muntjack to terrorise us.
But it doesnt explain the heavier closer hoofprints in the seed bed netting or the coarse pig like hair on them.?

Of course
Its the wild boar officially sighted less than 1/4 mile away.
Fantastic.
Just what we could do with....
Those new landing boards have to go....
Might not be just venison in the freezer from now on.
 #10581  by Patrick
 16 Apr 2021, 10:20
Electric fence up last evening, no repeat this morning. No major inconvenience just seems may need to become a fixture during dry spells.

If you are developing a fondness for wild boar should we start referring to you as Asterix, Alfred?