BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Basic assessement book list - which books have you read?

• Examinations Questions/Answers & advice for others
Examinations Questions/Answers & advice for others
 #199  by AdamD
 06 Aug 2018, 15:18
The 'ministry' book/leaflets are good - and free to download.
I would say that Yates' Study Notes are not suitable for the Basic - far too in depth.
Clive De Bruyn's book is good.
I can't comment on the Haynes manual myself although I have heard good things about it. UNLESS it goes on about cracking open the roof and putting matchsticks under the crownboard!

Ted Hoopers Guide is good - I have the original version and not the re-written one. Probably not a first book,, maybe the second!

Winston's 'Biology' is a cracking read. Possibly too advanced for the basic and a few years' old now.
Another old book is The Morse and Hooper book which has been out of print for ages. You might see it for £100 or so. Absolutely stuffed with information.
Don't forget the Mid Bucks notes - designed for the Modules, they are a good summary and certainly good if someone wants to progress beyond the 'Basic'.
 #321  by AdamD
 17 Aug 2018, 10:25
Thanks for the mid bucks link.
I was glancing through and it suggests taking two frames out to give room for an inspection; shaking the bees off each frame. This is what a Basic candidate did recently when she came for the assessment. I take one frame out only or maybe just the dummy board if I have one. Is two becoming the 'norm'?
 #646  by DianeBees
 16 Sep 2018, 14:43
AdamD wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 10:25
Thanks for the mid bucks link.
I was glancing through and it suggests taking two frames out to give room for an inspection; shaking the bees off each frame. This is what a Basic candidate did recently when she came for the assessment. I take one frame out only or maybe just the dummy board if I have one. Is two becoming the 'norm'?
One of the Basic assessors suggested taking two frames out to one of the candidates last year. I usually take one frame out to put on the frame hanger or on top of the brood box depending on the frame.